Things to be happy about today, in no particular order:
- The Mars rover Curiosity, a robot that humans built and then sent to another planet, is still rolling around and collecting samples. And the weather’s fine.
- Bulldog puppies.
- Smallpox is gone. It didn’t mysteriously disappear. We deliberately and systematically eradicated it from the planet. Not a single human being has died of smallpox since 1978.
- You and I, both of us, are alive. Right now, this moment, breathing and awake in a universe of unbounded possibility.
- Liam Neeson raised $20,000 for charity by stripping down to hot pink underwear.
- Giant robot battle fists.
- More than 5,000 people have climbed Mount Everest. Twelve people have walked on the moon. Three people in history have reached the deepest point in the ocean, most recently director James Cameron, six months ago.
- Chrono Trigger.
- You have something like 50 trillion cells in your body. That’s fifty thousand thousand thousand thousand separate individual living things working in harmony to keep you functioning.
- Leonard Nimoy.
Got anything to add to the list?