- a/s/l – This is how someone asks for your area code / superpower / favorite Lego set. A typical answer would be “937 / invisibility / Taj Mahal.”
- backup – Allegedly a way to protect your files. Don’t fall for this scam. Two locations for data means twice the vulnerability to hackers.
- blog – A juvenile balrog.
- broadband – An outdated, sexist term for a woman’s connection to the Internet. The modern, gender-sensitive term is “damewire,” and the male equivalent is “phallifax.”
- byte – An alternate spelling of “bidet.”
- DB – Dorito Burrito.
- DNS – Do Not Suscitate.
- Error 404 – Page not working. Page needs encouragement. To load page, refresh 404 times.
- flash drive – A hell of a lot more effective than a bake sale, I can tell you that.
- forum – A small organ between the duodenum and the jejunum. It performs little digestion and primarily serves to pass along waste.
- homepage – An online real estate listing.
- HTML – High-Tech Masculine Libido.
- HTTP – Hungarian Truck & Tulip Program. (Later changed to “Tubes” after it was discovered that the Internet is not a big truck.)
- I/O – Iago/Othello slash fic.
- IP address – The locations of the Italian Palaces, that is, the castles in Super Mario Bros. “Our princess is in another castle!”
- Linux – The Borg-assimilated version of Linus van Pelt, originally planned for the Charlie Brown Christmas / Star Trek: First Contact crossover special. Eventually scrapped, mostly because somebody ratted us out to Charles Schulz. Bastard.
- LOL – Land O’ Lakes butter. The traditional reply is GFY, “Good Food – Yum!”
- malware – A common misspelling of “mallware,” so called for all the great deals you can get.
- Microsoft – The third-worst male nickname of all time, just behind “Nanolimp” and “Picoflaccid.”
- online – What words become if you underline them.
- PDF – Partially Digitized Ferret.
- pr0n – Priests, Rabbis, Zero Nuns.
- RAM – Ritalin and Mescaline. (Sometimes measured in GB, or grams/bushel.)
- social media – The correct plural of “social medium,” a gregarious clairvoyant.
- SQL – Squash, Quidditch & Lacrosse. Pronounced “squall.”
- wiki – What the Witch of the West is.
Get it free!
Around the Net
Best of Buckley
- Artificial Intelligence and Nietzsche
- Happiness is Not the Goal
- Hating Twilight Does Not Make You Cool
- How Precision Kills Communication
- How to Write Clearly
- Reading Van Gogh
- Sixteen Simple Rules for Writers
- Staring at Rectangles
- The Joy of Hubris
- The One-Step Guide to Getting Published
- These Are a Few of My Favorite Things
- You Do Not Even Have to Believe in Yourself
TagsArt Artificial Intelligence Ask an Overmind Ask Brian Anything Avatar Babyology Buffy Copyediting Fiction Forty-Minute Story Friday Links Frozen Great Bible Read Haiku 365 NSA domestic spying Philosophy Poems Postmortem Restore the Fourth Riddle RPG Maker Scientology Singularity The Crane Girl The Federalist Capers The Witching Hour Transcendence Yoda vs. Everybody
Thank you very much for helping to clear up all that mumbo-jumbo. Can you help me understand what MBPS means?
Mr. Buckley’s Parental Sarcasm.
hahaha good stuff. whats WWW maaaaan????? I still don’t get why the pirate bay gets such a bad rep, it sounds like a great theme resort!
Wil Wheaton’s Whiskers.
This seems completely accurate. Thank you for clearing up all of these strange internet terms that I have never before understood properly!
You’re welcome. I’m glad we had this totally un-ironic talk about serious matters that are definitely not jokes.